Wednesday, November 30, 2016

More Prolo, The Holidays, and Staying Thankful

A little update, since it (once again) has been a little while since I last wrote in.

* Prolotherapy is the real deal, my friends. I have now had two treatments, and am due for my third a week from tomorrow (December 8). The second treatment was not nearly as uncomfortable as the first (maybe because I was mentally prepared for it? Who knows.), and my recovery time (the time I spent moving gingerly from point A to point B, and taking Tylenol as needed for pain) was MUCH MUCH shorter. My OMT had not seen me for five weeks between treatments, and reckoned that I was moving about 50% better than I had been before my first treatment. Since I'm living in this body 24/7, I hadn't noticed the difference too dramatically after the first treatment. However, after almost five weeks since my second treatment, I am feeling a huuuuge difference. My pain levels are way down. I am able to sit down on the floor from a standing position without help. I am able to bike on my trusty Airdyne with nearly full-abandon. My OMT has told me that she thinks I will need 4-5 prolo treatments total, before we move on to the manipulation-based treatments. We shall see. I remain, as ever, cautiously optimistic about all of this! Where is the fingers-crossed emoji? I need one.

* PT is also continuing to go well. I have "graduated" to the gym-area of the rehab clinic, wahoo! Meaning, I am now working on strengthening my poor, weak muscles. I am still working to fix one last, stubborn area of diastis recti, too. I am still using the cane when I'm out and about, or when I'm trying to move fast (at work, for example). Slow and steady.

* My whole little familia had the stomach bug over Thanksgiving break, which is one of my very favorite holidays. I was SO sad to miss celebrating with R for the first time. Now that we have all regained our appetites, I am looking forward to Christmas - gahhh! I'm already jamming to old-school Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, and have hauled out our Christmas decorations. I've loved reading R some of the staples of Christmas books from my childhood: The Polar Express, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, etc. 'tis the season, after all.

* What with the demon virus, my husband getting emergency gallbladder surgery, the current American political environment, etc., I have been feeling admittedly blue lately. Missing Thanksgiving had me miss my annual opportunity to truly and openly reflect on the many reasons I have to be thankful. Usually I can count my health on that list, and I had initially thought, "Well, not this year! Stupid pelvis!", but - but but BUT - here I am. Breathing. Carrying my son some. Living in a sweet little house. Loving my adoring, supportive husband. Walking with only a cane to assist me. Eating every day. Advocating for what I believe in. The list really does go on and on. I can't continue to ask WHY my injury happened, but I can focus on the present and future. So, that's what I'll do.


Stay thankful, everybody.


No comments:

Post a Comment